It’s not a game it’s a lifestyle

By: Chandler Bland

Basketball for some people is a game and for others, it’s a way of life. For 19-year-old Colby Jordan, Basketball is everything. Jordan is the starting point guard for the Brockport Men’s Basketball team who has faced many challenges in his life. He used playing basketball as a way to overcome these challenges.

Basketball has always been a huge part of Jordan’s life as it is a source of inspiration and motivation for him. Playing has helped him learn the value of teamwork, communication, and perseverance. 

“I’ve been playing Basketball my whole life, so like is really like a lifestyle to me. I always got to be on the court doing something. I love working out and it just teaches me a whole lot to be a great athlete, a great teammate, and most importantly, a better person. I met a lot of teammates throughout my time and they taught me a lot of things as well. So that’s was everything to me,” Jordan said.

Jordan couldn’t imagine what his life would be like without Basketball in it. During the 2019-2020 season, he had been looking forward to his junior year in high school which was going to be his Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) basketball season. But it was cut short due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It was an important season for him because that was his recruitment period. 

However, he refused to let the situation defeat him and instead used that time to focus on his studies and training. He worked hard to stay in shape and stay motivated, even when it seemed like there was no end in sight. 

“COVID-19 really affected everyone, but it affected me because I didn’t have to I didn’t have a complete senior year how I played nine games. So that really affected my recruitment. And, coaches didn’t really get a chance to see what I could really do. And it really hurt because, like the NCAA, they just made a transfer portal legal. So that really hurt me as well because seniors can, you know, enter the transfer portal. And a lot, of course, will take older guys. So that really affected me that year. And just like I wasn’t out there playing the sport I love, so that really hurt as well,” Jordan said.  

After his first year of college basketball, Jordan was feeling confident after averaging 3.1 points and 1.6 rebounds and was ready for his sophomore year. Then he was stroked by the terrible news of the loss of his grandfather. His grandfather had motivated him to be a better man on and off the court. 

“My grandfather had a huge impact on my life. He was one of the most important people in my life. You know, he told me a lot of things as far as being a really good person and treating everyone with respect. He really taught me, how to be a good person. And I just can’t thank him enough for that. When he was on his last couple of days, he just always told me he loves me. And I always take that in and like, always try to tell people you love them. And I really thought he taught me that very well,” Jordan said.

Despite the tragic loss, Jordan continued to strive on and off the court Averaging 5.1 points, 2.0 assists, 3.2 rebounds, and 1.0 steals per game. Jordan recently received the SUNYAC Men’s Basketball Elite 20 award. 

“It feels good. I honestly didn’t even know I won it until about five minutes into the warmups. Coach told me, you know, you want this award. And I was really happy to win it because, like, it really showed, the work. I put it in the classroom as well as the court as well, being started this year and having to maintain high grades, it’s a lot, but it’s definitely that. It’s definitely the grind part of it. I just really appreciate it winning that. I made my family proud, friends, and family proud. And, you know, that’s always as going to make everyone proud around me,” Jordan said.

Honoring his grandfather’s memory and making his family proud is the reason Jordan picks up the basketball. Whether it’s on or off the court and he uses the challenges he faces to fuel his passion. He has never given up despite what hardships have come in his way, and continues to be an inspiration to those around him, all while doing what he loves.