An Unfamiliar Celebration: Eid al-Fitr

As April unfolds, many people in America are preparing for the Easter holiday. Churches decorate with pastel colors and Easter eggs, families plan elaborate feasts, and children eagerly anticipate the arrival of the Easter bunny. However, amidst all of the excitement surrounding Easter, another significant religious holiday often goes unnoticed – Eid al-Fitr. 

Eid al-Fitr is an important occasion on the Islamic calendar, also known as the “Festival of Breaking the Fast.” This festival celebrates the end of the month-long Ramadan fast and serves as a time for Muslim communities to come together and renew their faith. 

Eid is a special holiday that’s highly anticipated by many Muslims, including Mustapha Ceesay, the Vice President of the Muslim Student Association at Brockport. For Ceesay and many others, Eid is a time to come together as a community, and express gratitude for their blessings. 

“Brockport Muslim Students Gather for Eid Prayer at Dome Arena in 2022” ( photo credit/ Brockport MSA)

“For Muslims, Eid al-Fitr is an opportunity to come together as a Muslims community and celebrate our faith. Everybody will be dress in their best clothes, share gifts with family and friends, and enjoy special meals,” Ceesay said. 

In the Brockport community, the Muslim Student Association (MSA) is preparing for Eid al-Fitr. MSA is dedicated to ensuring that every Muslim and None-Muslims student at Brockport have an opportunity to participate in the Eid prayer. The MSA is providing transportation to and from the prayer for students, staff, and members of the community. 

“Our MSA hopes to provide rides to students and anyone else who want to attend Eid-prayer to the mosque or Islamic center. “Ceesay said. 

For those outside the Brockport area, the Masjid Tawfeeq and Islamic Center of Rochester are hosting Eid prayers at their respective locations. It’s important to check with your local Muslim community or search online for local events in your area. 

Nausi Khan, the vice president of Islamic Center of Rochester, says that Eid prayer on April 21 will be happening at the Dome Arena. 

“Eid prayers will be happening from 7:30 and then again at 10am at the Henrietta Dome arena.” Khan said

The prayers at the dome arena are an open event for all those who want to attend. While Eid al-Fitr is primarily a religious holiday celebrated by Muslims, non-Muslims can also participate in the festivities and show their support for their Muslim friends and neighbors. 

Many mosques, Islamic centers, and Muslim organizations host Eid celebrations that are open to the public. Attending these events can provide an opportunity to experience the holiday’s joyous atmosphere, sample traditional foods, and learn about Muslim culture.