Should Teachers Be Armed in the Classroom?

class

By Chelsea Nelson

Canalside Chronicles Staff

Deadly school shootings across America have caused an uproar of protest and demand for gun law change. After the Parkland, Florida shooting, Donald Trump requested that teachers arm themselves in the classroom.

Is that really the answer? Parents and teachers from both the Brockport School District and the March For Our Lives in Washington, D.C. gave their opinions on this national issue.

“Guns in schools frighten the living heck out of me,” said A.D. Oliver Middle School Assistant Principal Karl Dubash. “There is a huge mental health problem in our country and arming schools with more guns is not the answer. We have been working with the Brockport Police Department to improve our emergency preparedness training to help with what we can. We shouldn’t have to have metal detectors and guards in our schools to make them safe.”

On Saturday, March 24, attendees of the March For Our Lives rally in Washington, D.C. came together to bring change to our nation’s gun laws. A large portion of the speakers were students, who vocalized their disapproval of Trump’s words about arming teachers. Kindergarten parent, Eugene, and his son Logan came to the march in hopes of seeing new legislation passed about the availability of guns.

“We don’t want anyone to have to be killed,” said Logan, holding up a sign saying “Hold on America, the kids will save you.” Logan smiled as he held up his sign, serving as one of the many children who were excited to attend the March For Our Lives. Kids of every age came out for the march, showing how strongly they feel about their safety in the classroom.

Gun control isn’t something many expect children to feel strongly about, as it has traditionally been an adult only conversation. The number of children and teenagers in the masses of people are symbolic of the courage and bravery the next generation is bringing to the country.

“He’s in kindergarten and on his first day he had an active shooter drill and he’s had 4 so far,” Eugene said. “It’s too much. Kids shouldn’t have to live that way, where they’re worried about somebody coming into their school and killing them. We’ve had one shooting after another in our country and it doesn’t matter what district they’re in or what kind of neighborhood they’re in, there’s nothing being done. The only common factor is the availability of guns.”

Third grade teacher, Kate Hardy, came to the March For Our Lives in hopes that her students will soon feel safe in her classroom again.

“I’m tired of seeing my kids scared to go to school,” Hardy said. “I’m tired of wondering where the dark corners are of my classroom. We need smart, common sense gun law change and it needs to happen now.”

There is a growing consensus among educators and our nation’s youth that more fire power is not the answer to stopping gun violence. With the spread of each person’s voice, change will come.