Opening a Brewery During the Pandemic- A Tall Order

By: Paul Manno Lindenhurst, N.Y.-

COVID-19 has severely impacted local businesses all over the world forcing them to close their doors. While some businesses have failed to survive during the pandemic, many have thrived. Sand City South Brewery opened its doors on March 6, 2021.

Entrance of Sand City South Brewery Photo by Paul Manno

The brewery, located in the heart of Lindenhurst New York, has provided a safe environment so that customers can enjoy their beverages while following COVID-19 protocols and regulations. Kevin McCarthy is a bartender at Sand City South Brewery who started working when the brewery opened in early March. 

McCarthy says it’s been difficult to operate during the pandemic, but this hasn’t stopped them from serving beer.

“It was kind of difficult in the sense that the community has been very welcoming. We have seen amazing numbers, but with all the rules we have to enforce, all the COVID-19 restrictions and all the regulations, we had a lot of people breathing down our necks. A lot of people were checking in on us during very busy shifts. So it was stressful, but because we work with such awesome people and the town has been very welcoming, compared to a lot of opening months for restaurants, this was a very smooth operation,” McCarthy said. 

Sand City South Beverage Menu Photo by Paul Manno

Sand City South Brewery has indoor and outdoor seating. Even with no maximum capacity, McCarthy ensures that customers should feel safe coming to their establishment for a drink.

“So we absolutely enforce all of the Covid-19 rules. We have taken every precaution and the place gets cleaned professionally three times a week,” McCarthy said.  

Sand City South is the second brewery in the chain to open on Long Island. Their first brewery, Sand City North, is located on the north shore and Sand City South is located on the south shore. When Sand City South opened its doors during the pandemic, they wanted to distribute different types of beer based on the demographics.

“We also know that the north shore is nowhere near the south shore of Long Island, so we know our demographic. We have lots of light beer, lots of stuff you can drink outside, no big fancy IPAs really. For anyone who hasn’t been here I recommend the Lindenhurst Lager and our Day Drifter IPA,” McCarthy said.

The Lindenhurst Lager Beverage Photo by Paul Manno

Sand City South is now the only brewery in Lindenhurst and it had a great impact on the community. Lindenhurst resident Gina Alvino describes her experience at the brewery.

“I think the brewery came out well together. Inside it has a nice culture and environment. It’s very welcoming, all the employees are attentive, and all of the beers are great. They did a great job getting their audience in the sense of Lindenhurst being a south shore town and the light beers and more beachy beers being here,” Alvino said.

When the total of COVID-19 cases started to rise, Sand City South offered to-go cans for their customers. This was very convenient to local residents like Alvino.

Gina Alvino Drinking a Beer at Sand City South Photo by Paul Manno

“I personally love ales and my favorite beer here is the red ale. They have them in to-go cans so that’s really convenient for people who just want to stop in and get a beer,” Alvino said.

As COVID-19 cases start to trend downward, many businesses will start to operate smoothly like Sand City South Brewery. This brewery is opened seven days a week. For more information visit their website.