The return of live music

By Gio Battaglia

After months of silence in the loudest and most intimate local venues, live music is coming back.

Record Archive in Rochester is one of the venues where locals can now hear live music. The Backroom Lounge of Record Archive reopened earlier this year. It is one of the only retail stores to have a small venue. 

Record Archive Vice President Alayna Alderman is welcoming fans back with some new COVID-19 guidelines in place.

“You must be 100% vaccinated and proof is required to be allowed into the Backroom Lounge,” Alderman said. “The store side we do not require vaccination. When you’re in the shopping side of the space, that is a quick transaction. The Backroom Lounge, you’re spending a longer length of time with people, so that is why vaccination is key.”

Audiences have been following the guidelines, but some aren’t happy about it. 

“I’ll get a couple of disgruntled emails from customers but honestly, I don’t care,” Alderman said. “This is what had to happen, we kind of have to force people into it or you are not welcome. If you want to live in a civilized society, it’s about caring for one another.”

Luca Forester and the Electrokings performing in the Backroom Lounge

Alderman has had to turn artists away due to a high demand to get back on stage and she says those who can perform are very accommodating with the COVID-19 protocols.

“All of the bands are vaccinated, they feel comfortable because the audience is vaccinated which adds another layer of protection,” said Alderman.

Lovin’ Cup is another local venue that has reopened and provides space for live music.

Musicians like local singer/songwriter Abigail Stair say they’re excited to return to the stage.

“Even if these events can’t return to thousands of people, just being with people all together should be something we are thankful for,” Stair said.

Stair performing at Lovin' Cup in Rochester.
Stair performing at Lovin’ Cup in Rochester.

Like Stair, concert organizers and audiences alike are thrilled to be able to bring live music back.

“When I just do it out of enjoyment, it sucked [not being able to perform.] Even though it was such a short amount of time in the long scheme, it felt like forever,” Stair said.

With the easing of restrictions and the return of live music, everyone seems to be holding their breath in hopes that the community can move forward. 

“If we all want to get past this, we must work together.” Alderman said.

Upcoming events at Record Archive.