Seniors reflect on Brockport

Another semester is coming to an end, and for the SUNY Brockport Class of 2022, important decisions are going to be made for their future. Many good memories have been created at Brockport, while there also have been some regrets among students. These students are very happy they chose Brockport as home. 

SUNY Brockport from the SERC (Photo: Ajay Cybulski)

Brockport senior Ben Shoop has one regret. 

“I regret not living in the moment as much, especially early in college. I can’t believe it is already over,” Shoop said. 

Shoop says he chose Brockport because of the club volleyball program, and his best memory comes from the club.  

“I chose Brockport because of its volleyball club. My cousin went here while I was here for a year, and it was cheap. My best memory at Brockport was going to nationals with the volleyball team. I also loved Eagle Days,” Shoop said.  

Club Volleyball Team (Photo: Ben Shoop)

Senior Patrick Marchitell is a transfer student who has been at Brockport for 2 years. Marchitell says he wanted to come to Brockport because of their reputation and career opportunities.  

“It has a good program and is known for the program I wanted to pursue which was exercise science. It was not too far but also not too close from where I grew up. People I knew were going here and I heard great things about Brockport,” Marchitell stated. 

Marchitell says he has met many new people, but regrets not coming for a full 4 years. 

“My best memory was meeting new people in class and at the gym. However, the first year and a half I had to deal with COVID, so I didn’t get the normal college experience. My regret is that I wasn’t here for 4 years, and I wish I would’ve been,” Marchitell said. 

Senior Bryce Rowe says he chose Brockport for their programs as well. 

“I chose Brockport because of wrestling but I also knew that they had a great KSSPE major,” Rowe explained. 

Rowe says he is happy that the got to meet so many people, but also regrets not living in the moment. 

“Meeting new friends here that I view as family is something I will always cherish forever. I regret not realizing how fast college will fly by and truly involving myself with college, and maybe taking these 4 years for granted,” Rowe said.  

Senior Alex Ciccone is a student who didn’t take the typical route. Ciccone is 26 years old, and took a couple years off before coming to Brockport. 

Ciccone says he has no regrets and has made good memories. 

“I have no regrets at all. I’ve met so many great people, made a lot of connections, and formed great friendships. I have so many memories, but game nights with my friends I will always remember,” Ciccone said.  

Senior Mike Depaolo explains he chose Brockport for financial reasons, and that he will look back and say he enjoyed these 4 years.  

Sign outside graduation location (Photo: Ajay Cybulski)

“Brockport is a smaller school so I would be able to learn better and it is very affordable for me. I don’t have regrets because I have met so many amazing people here that I will be friends with for the rest of my life,” DePaolo said. 

Brockport graduation is taking place inside the SERC field house on May 12, 2022. It is approaching quickly, and before you know it, these students will move onto a new chapter. 

The students of Brockport have found a place they can call home, and have made many great memories while regretting not living in the moment. College comes and goes, but memories last forever.