The Leslie Knope of Brockport Student Government

By Chelsea Nelson

Canalside Chronicles Staff

While the seventies were coming to a close, Rebecca Bird was just getting started. The Brockport native started working for the College at Brockport’s student government in 1979. Since her start nearly 40 years ago she has been able to connect with many students who have come though this institution. “I love them to pieces,” said Bird.

The relationships she makes with students continues to be a struggle for Bird. She told herself long ago she would break the cycle of getting attached. While motioning her arms away from her, Bird said she would “keep everybody out here.” Well that’s what she says anyway.

When Josh Matthews, BSG’s Vice President, and Eli Madison, BSG’s President, walk by to insert their opinion on Becky not getting attached, Eli loudly agrees saying “that makes sense,” while Josh makes a sarcastic off handed comment “We hate Becky.” The laughter fills the room, everyone believing it is ludicrous that Becky keeps her distance and that they hate her. The atmosphere is very much the opposite.

Becky Bird has lived in Brockport her entire life, growing up only minutes from campus. Both her and her husband are very involved in the community, with no plans of slowing down. Becky’s husband is a volunteer firefighter and loves the Village just as much as his wife. Every time Becky says she’s going to retire, it ends up being one more year. The attachment she has to BSG is a symbol of her dedication to the students. Becky’s entire family has a connection to the group. Her daughter was in BSG during college, later marrying a past BSG President. Becky’s love for BSG has grown into a lifestyle, serving as her passion and biggest motivation.

Becky is the best known thing about BSG. She is a staple in the office, giving her guidance to every student who walks in. She can be seen taking minutes at the weekly senate meetings, helping print posters, and at The Square perusing the soups of the day. She is BSG’s secret weapon and whenever she finally does decide to retire there will be extremely large shoes to fill, and a tough act to follow.

image1.jpeg