How Brockport Students can stay safe from sexual assault.

By Katrina Bown

Photo from SUNY Brockport website of location of Blue Light emergency poles

Sending your child to college you want to ensure your child safety.

However, statistics show that one in 5 women and one in 16 men are sexually assaulted while in college. More than 90% of sexual assault victims on college campuses do not report the assault as reported by the National Sexual Violence Resource Center. 

To stay safe, Brockport students have been seen collecting self defense gadgets for the chance that something might happen to them, these can include pepper spray, brass knuckles, alarms and rape whistles. 

Self defense keychain including pepper spray, alarm, window breaker and hand sanitizer- amazon.com

Angelina Brignoni, an education major at SUNY Brockport, has her own arrangement on her keychain.

“On my keychain I have my pepper spray and my window breaker. Being a female in college I felt as though if i’m ever walking alone in the dark. It was beneficial for me to have these gadgets. When walking around at night I always have my pepper spray at my side, open and ready to go,” said Brignoni.

Brignoni also mentions the fear instituted by the increased population on campus.

“This year I feel more at risk, especially since last year I was a freshman, I only saw a small amount of people. However this year I see a larger amount, I feel like there is more potential for bad situations to happen,” said Brignoni.

One thing most students at the college fear is walking home at night. Charlotte Wright, another student at the college walks home from sports practice at night.

“ Whenever I walk back home from work or hockey practice, I live in constant fear of something terrible happening to me,” said Wright. “I try my best to have a companion with me at all times. But when I’m alone I catch myself constantly looking over my shoulder. With more people, the probability fills me with fear and paranoia,” said Wright.

Criminal justice student Taylor Bessey plans on becoming a crime scene investigator. She is no stranger to hearing about these tragic situations.

“My father was a cop and always yelled at me to get pepper spray because he knows the importance of self-defense. Now that I was given my own spray, I keep it on my keychain at all costs.” 

For the safety of SUNY Brockport students, the school has Title IX which from the school website states “Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 is a federal civil rights law that prohibits sex discrimination on the basis of sex in educational programs or activities that receive federal funding. This includes admission into college, financial aid awards, athletic programs, internships, school-related conferences, participation in club sports and organizations, and other SUNY Brockport sponsored activities.”

The school wants to ensure the safety of our students, so if you or a friend ever feels unsafe don’t hesitate to use one of the many 47 emergency poles placed all around campus.

Many students find themselves feeling unsafe to even report what has happened to them. But you don’t have to be alone, that’s what the school’s police department promotes; providing a safe and secure campus environment for all students, staff, faculty and visitors. With emphasis on crime prevention and deterrence, personal safety education and service to the college community.