Rebelling against Gender Stereotypes

The gender stereotype for women expects them to be passive, naive, sexually inexperienced, soft, flirtatious, graceful, nurturing and accepting. For Quinn Liberto, she takes it upon herself to rebel against these stereotypes.

Quinn Liberto grew up not feeling the need to follow any stereotypes that women are typically expected to follow. She was never afraid to dress and act how she wanted. She doesn’t feel the need to impress anyone except herself. She is an independent free spirit, with her own unique style. Liberto continues to show other women and the people around her how great it feels to break the stereotype and not care what people have to say.

“I was always drawn to men’s clothing. But my mom always pushed the girly clothes on me growing up, which soon made me want to rebel and go against her when I got old enough. Once I started not caring what others expected from me and dressed how I wanted, I started to find love for myself and feel more confident,” said Liberto.

The image for females in the media is filled with stereotypes about who women are and what their role should be in society. These stereotypes can be negative, degrading and impact both how women perceive themselves and how others see them as well. 

Body shaming has one of the bigger psychological effects on women today. Mind shift wellness center mentions that the total events of body shaming was found to be 44.9  percent.

Standards of beauty for women have been generally unrealistic and unattainable. Now women struggle with eating disorders, body dysmorphia and sometimes depression. All from the effect of society’s past expectation on “what a woman should be.”

Quinn Liberto having spikes in her hair. Photo by Katrina Bown

Quinn Liberto has found love for herself once she stopped letting others’ opinions change who she is. Liberto doesn’t feel the need to do extra things for people such as shaving, being “cookie cutter”, or getting all dressed up for anyone except herself. Liberto didn’t want to use her body to appeal to anyone else except herself.

“Appealing to men was someone I didnt want to be, I didnt want to be seen as a sexual object,” said Liberto.

Additionally, Liberto can be seen as a role model to others, back in her home town of Hornell, NY, the people surrounding Quinn Liberto such as Riley Farnham mentions how much Liberto has helped them.

Riley Farnham is a female from Hornell, NY, who knew Quinn Liberto from highschool.

“Quinn has been my best friend growing up so I always had her by my side. Through the time I’ve known her, she has helped me to realize that I didn’t have to do anything if it didn’t make me happy,” said Farnham.

For Quinn Liberto, her role model is someone who is a well known figure that has been helping others with their struggle with gender identity and rebelling against gender stereotypes. 

“Growing up I always looked up to Harry Styles, he always seemed to be confident in himself even if he didn’t fit the basic male stereotype,” said Liberto.

Quinn Liberto continues to be herself and not let anyone’s suggestions change the way she lives, thinks, dresses and holds herself. She found confidence and love within herself once she found out what truly mattered to her.