A Man of the People

By Andrew Harrington, Kyle Boyd and Nick Agostinelli

Sibleyy
Rochester has plenty of architecture and artistry that stands out. (Photo by Andrew Harrington)

The City of Rochester is known for having many unique features. This includes the Genesee River that flows through the city, Highland Park with its lilacs and the George Eastman Museum dedicated to film.

There is plenty to see and plenty to do big and small in this area. From going to catch a baseball game at Frontier Field, the home of the Red Wings, to visiting Artisan Works for a taste of the local art, Rochester has many interesting attractions.

But, the distinguishing feature that sets this city apart from others is its people. And the people are very passionate about their food. Take resident Steven Plum, for instance. Plum runs a hot dog stand that has been in downtown Rochester for fourteen years.

Street
Plum runs his business on the street, where he sees locals of all different backgrounds. ( Photo by Andrew Harrington)

Plum, who use to help teach the marching band at The College at Brockport, enjoys fishing in his spare time and prides himself on getting to know people in his community.

“I like being out here on the street dealing with people,” Plum said. “Most of the people are pretty darn cool out here.”

Plum knows many of the locals by name because of their consistent investment in his products.

“After fourteen years, I know a lot of residents [by name]” Plum said. “Its a real pleasure out here.”

StevePLum
Plum is very passionate about what we sells at his hot dog stand. (Photo by Kyle Boyd)

Plum’s stand sells hots, hamburgers, sausage, chicken, steak and even creative burgers. He prides himself on introducing visitors and new members of the community to Rochester trademarks like meat sauce.

“I had a guy come from out of town a couple of years back, this was great,” Plum said. “He was not from Rochester so he didn’t know what the meat sauce was all about. I gave him his cheeseburger and comes back and said ‘hey buddy, that was the most amazing cheeseburger’.

“It was an amazing transformation from angry hangry guy to a guy who turned happy over the food,” said Plum.

“There can be hostile moments and some crazy moments,” said Plum.

“I almost had a fist fight today,” Plum said. “I had somebody pore water from the top of a building on my head for St. Patrick’s Day this year. People do crazy stuff out here.”

Plum is very passionate about what he does for the residents of downtown Rochester, and he spoke about how proud he is to be a member of the Rochester community.

Plum is just one person who wants to be an example for people who visit Rochester and to show them the the type of hard-working people that reside in this city.

View Comments (1)