Why Brockport

By: Christopher Lewis

BROCKPORT, N.Y. – There are many different reasons for living in the village of Brockport. The assortment of shops, small town charm and outdoor activities are what locals rave about, however, not everyone who lives in the village of Brockport is a permanent resident. Some people who live in the village came for the sole purpose of attending SUNY Brockport. Students at the college enjoy the opportunities the school offers in terms of academics and prospects after their time here. However, after receiving their diploma, students may face the challenge of maintaining engagement with the village.  

Madison Hiddie is a Brockport alum and a part of BAWAFAS (Brockport Alumni Who Are Faculty and Staff).  

Maddison Hiddie in her office Brockport N.Y. Oct 28, 2023 (Photo Credit Christopher Lewis)

“I had decided that I was going to go to a community college first to save some money before pursuing a 4-year degree, so I hadn’t done any campus tours or visits,” Hiddie says. “My dad had made an offhand comment about Brockport and from the second I saw the campus I was sold.” 

Everyone has different experiences when it comes to college. During her time in college, Hiddie took advantage of the Delta Program.  

“I commuted to campus and had no plans of being overly involved in things, just wanted to take my classes, get my degree, and go home. However, within a few weeks of starting my peer mentor (In Delta) had become one of my best friends, and I got involved in jobs, internships and social events on campus,” said Hiddie.   

After graduation, Hiddie was offered a full-time job as the Delta advisor. When the program shut down, Hiddie was then offered a job in advisement as the Student Employment Coordinator.  

Hiddie describes her time here as a ‘love at first sight scenario’. 

“I love Brockport and I love the life I have here, it sounds cheesy, but I really saw it as a real love at first sight scenario,” said Hiddie. 

Hiddie isn’t the only alum who had a ‘love at first sight scenario’, for Vice President of Advancement & Communications Mike Andriatch, Brockport was always in his blood.  

Vice President of Advancement & Communications
Mike Andriatch Brockport N.Y. Oct 15, 2023 (Credit SUNY Brockport)

“From the time I stepped on campus, Brockport was in my blood, and it truly helped make me the person I am today. I enjoyed everything about my time as a student, loved my job in building the sports info operation, and made a very successful transition to advancement work, using the skills and connections I made in my first 15 years here,” says Andriatch. 

Andriatch didn’t always have his sights set on Brockport. 

“I studied for two years at Canisius College but could never really find my footing, I was doing what I set out to do but I felt as though I was in the wrong place until I transferred to Brockport in the fall of ‘83,” says Andriatch. 

Just like Hiddie, the school is what sold it for him. 

“I had opportunities to leave, but never did. After a while working in advancement, I knew this was where I was going to finish my career,” says Andriatch.  

College isn’t the only thing that keeps people tied to the village of Brockport. For locals of the area, it is all about community. 

Brockport resident George Florance works at Collectors Choice and has lived in the village for over 15 years.  

Collectors Choice Brockport N.Y. Nov 17, 2023 (Photo Credit Christopher Lewis)

“The community is big but small enough that you know everyone,” Florance says. “I have thought of living other places but the people that visit my store and the community as a whole has shown me this is where I am supposed to be; I love it here.” 

It doesn’t matter if you were born in Brockport or moved here for school, the village of Brockport has various reasons to extend your stay and become a part of its small-town community charm.