More Than a Game

By Vianca Grullon

With the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, many people’s daily lives have been reshaped. With having to quarantine inside and looking for things to do, video games is one way people pass the time, connect with friends, and just enjoy their time inside safely. 

The console gaming popularity has increased, as people look for ways to play together and connect with friends and family.

Justin Grullon, an assistant basketball coach at The Highbridge Green School, is one of  millions of other people who are stuck at home. Encouraged to be socially distant, Grullon has turned to video games to pass time.

Justin Grullon, 24, explains the harsh reality of the COVID-19 pandemic and how it has affected his work and home life. -Video by Vianca Grullon.

Due to the pandemic, consumers have at higher rates, turned to apps and digital entertainment for their jobs, school, shopping and more.

According to Neilsen, an American information, data and market measurement firm has found that video gaming has increased since the start of the pandemic.

“The number of gamers who say they are playing video games more now due to the COVID-19 pandemic has increased since March 23, 2020. The increase was highest in the U.S. (46%), followed by France (41%), the U.K. (28%) and Germany (23%).”

“With nothing to do, and everything closed or limited like movie theatres, parks, gyms etc. I turned to video games because that is where I can meet up with my friends, talk, laugh and just catch up since we can’t do it in person” said Grullon. 

Gaming has been able to distract Grullon from the harsh reality of the increasing cases of the pandemic in the United States, which grips the nation.