The Appliance Drought

By: David Villareale

The world that we once knew has changed. The way in which jobs are performed, the way in which we order food has all but changed. When it comes to big box stores such as Lowes the protocol for deliveries has also changed.

Lowes in Greece has become the central hub to sell the most appliances than any other store in New York State. Delivering items all throughout Rochester to aid customers during these trying times.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is zSN4YpsFyCYkLtOwnoXgIQbqF7UrJCuzB7tuY3VUI2zA9shf7e__eSMhWd_hQPFyeMMJlhOdQg7gZ-JUZyCD2x2TBwxPaf_jR6XJ8Ql3nCNU0_yBMWig2EvAXrtiU-cNAyyW7zbD

photo was taken by David Villareale 

Since March 22, Lowes has briefed its delivery employees on the new protocol to be delivered to customers. Appliances cannot be brought into a customer home to ensure that not only is the customer safe but that the employee does not carry the virus into the home.

This has raised various red flags for customers as most don’t have ways to bring their newly delivered appliances into their homes. Recently, Lowes can only enter customers’ homes if they are elderly and have no means to get someone over to assist them. On the other hand, the influx of orders has also put pressure upon manufacturers to supply Lowes with adequate product availability. 

“Having to deliver bad news to my customers daily and vendors not sending appliances for three to four weeks has put a halt to my sales,” says Liz Papp and Appliance specialist at Lowes Greece.

Most orders at Lowes are gauged by the distribution center stock quantity in which all appliance associates must check everyday. Most appliance items take upwards to two weeks to arrive at the distribution center and then another two weeks to arrive at the actual store. These dates are not final and can change depending on when the orders actually land.   

“A lot of vendors have stopped making appliances to make other things such as ventilators and crisis items to help aid in the pandemic,” Papp said. 

Once a customer is locked in for an appliance, they are given a delivery date and a time frame. Once the time comes for their delivery, sometimes the appliance hasn’t even arrived at the store, and delivery dates have to be pushed back. Causing most customers to either cut their losses and take their business elsewhere, or they wait week by week even months on end.  

“We are not used to just dropping appliances off in the garage as customers are particular about where in the house to bring them; I find ending my day fairly early since we don’t have to enter customers’ homes,” says Ricky Cortes, a Lowes CDL driver. 

Photo was taken by David Villareale 

Throughout an entire week, the truck varies with deliveries which stagger from four to five and sometimes nine at the max. Most customers set up special delivery instructions with the store to get appliances brought in the home with minimal customer and employee interaction. 

Photo was taken by David Villareale 

“I was surprised when I put in a lumber order in August and wasn’t able to receive my order till the end of September, the inventory of lumber was low at Lowes and it really shocked me” says Dave Villareale, a greece resident. 

Home Improvements have all but stopped and production is at an all time low for Lowes as a whole. Customers have been waiting for appliances and other essentials from Lowes since the pandemic has started and some are still waiting to this day.