The Ins and Outs Of Internships

By: Alanna Dovidio

Wixom during her internship at Girls On The Run non-profit. Photo by Lauren Wixom.

With the stress of post graduate life looming over students, internships allow college students to ease into the working world. Completing an internship allows students to earn valuable hands-on experience in their field. According to finance online, 70 percent of companies offer interns a full-time position.  

Internships are a vital connection between college and the job marketplace. While internships are critical, landing them isn’t always easy. At SUNY Brockport many students are required to complete at least one before graduating.

There are numerous resources available at Brockport for students to find internships. One of the best resources for students is Handshake. Similar to LinkedIn, Handshake offers students internship and job posting tailored to their careers. Handshake includes everything students need to know about their internships such as pay, dates and locations. After making a profile, students can connect with future employers and sign up for career fairs.

Handshake Internship listings. Screenshot from Alanna Dovidio

SUNY Brockport Junior, Lauren Wixom was one of many students who successfully completed an internship.

“I interned at Girls on the Run non-profit organization. I started with the program by volunteering as an assistant coach. I heard that they were recruiting interns for the fall of 2021 and I applied for the communications and marketing position.”

Photo of Wixom on Girls on the Run Instagram. Screenshot from @gotr_roc on Instagram.

Wixom was responsible for running social media accounts for the non-profit organization.

“I loved my internship, it allowed me to learn and grow in an environment where I want to work in the future. It was really valuable and gave me great experience for my job field,” Wixom said.

Students like Wixom say that utilizing handshake and other websites such as indeed or linked in are helpful when searching.

Brockport offers different types of internships through the study abroad program and the “career exploration course”. This course is open to students who have completed at least 35 credits and can provide up to six credits.

Students typically complete their internships during their junior or senior years. To start the search process students say it’s best to meet with their internship coordinator or make an appointment with career services.